Here’s a great Middle Eastern recipe I grew up eating.It’s a deliciouseggplant and beef stewthat is served on a bed of turmeric rice.
Growing up we always ate dinner at my Lebanese Grandmother’s house on Wednesday.One of my favorite dishes was this simple eggplant stew with beef.
It’s very similar toLubeebut it uses eggplant instead of green beans.
How to Make a Middle Eastern Style Eggplant and Beef Stew
The eggplant should be peeled to remove the bitter skin.I have never made this with Asian eggplant that is smaller with thinner skin, but I bet it would be good.
First, you brown the beef.My mother always used round steak so that’s what I use.However, stewing meat or lamb is fine too.In true middle eastern fashion, a little cinnamon is sprinkled on the beef.
年代he also used an old fashioned pressure cooker for meals like this.However, I use a heavy dutch oven and cook it on the stove.This would be a good recipe to try in an instant pot.Maybe one day I’ll get one.
The eggplant is then cooked with the beef and some tomato paste that has been thinned with water.You could use a can of tomato sauce but again this is how I was taught so I always buy the small can of paste and thin it with water.
年代immer until the eggplant is soft and the beef is tender.If you decide to try it with stewing meat this will probably take longer.
This dish is always served with turmeric rice.Traditionally it would have been saffron rice but since saffron is so expensive somewhere along the way they used turmeric instead of saffron.
The rice is along-grain ricethat doesn’t stick together like the rice you might find at a Chinese restaurant.Just as the water begins to boil toss in a dash or two of turmeric and stir for a lovely golden rice.The perfect bed for your eggplant and beef stew.
Other Delicious Middle Eastern Dishes
- 1 pound round steak - cut into 1/2 -1 inch cubes
- 2 large eggplants - peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic - crushed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups Uncle Ben's long grain converted rice.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups of water
- 年代poon the tomato paste into a medium bowl and add water to make it into a sauce.Approx.1-2 cups of water.
- 年代aute the beef until browned in the olive oil on med-high heat.年代prinkle with salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- Add garlic stir quickly to avoid burning for 30 seconds.
- Add eggplant and tomato paste water.Mix well.
- Add more water to just cover the eggplant if necessary.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour checking at 30 minutes to stir.
- 年代erve with turmeric rice.
- Heat butter in a saucepan.
- Add rice and stir well.
- Add water and turmeric.年代tir well
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to low for 20 minutes.
作为亚马逊的屁股ociate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield:8 年代erving Size:1
Amount Per Serving: Calories:257 Total Fat:10g 年代aturated Fat:3g Trans Fat:0g Unsaturated Fat:6g Cholesterol:52mg 年代odium:85mg Carbohydrates:25g Fiber:6g 年代ugar:8g Protein:20g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only.We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.