Thischocolate pecan pieis very easy to make.No mixer required.You can even use a store bought crust for a quick and delicious dessert.
My husband wanted a pecan pie for our Thanksgiving dinner.Since he does the heavy load of cooking on that day, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and the most delicious gravy, I thought I’d make a pie for him.However, since I’m a chocoholic I made it a chocolate pecan pie.
Making Chocolate Pecan Pie
One of the great things about this pie, besides the chocolate, is that you don’t need to pull out the mixer.I even used refrigerated pie crust and it tasted great.
You could go the extra mile and make your own pie crust, but if you are short on time a pre-made one works just fine.
Everything goes into a heavy saucepan at different times for the filling.
Since you are not pre-cooking the crust make sure you prick the bottom a few times to compensate for air bubbles.
Crimp the edges any way you like.I just used my fork tines to press the edges for a super-fast crimp.
After you fill the pie you get to decorate the top with pecan halves to make it pretty.The recipe says to use half of the pecans for this but you may not need that many.It depends on how close together you place the nuts.I think I used about 1/3 cup for my top.
Those who ate some loved it and said it tasted a lot like brownies.
Keep in mind this pie can definitely be made a day or two ahead.Keep it well wrapped or refrigerate it.Just make sure to bring it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
- 2 cups pecan halves (approx 12 oz)
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (5 oz)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place pie crust in a 9 inch glass pan.Prick the bottom and turn under and crimp edges.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Chop half of the pecans and reserve the other half for decorating the top.
- Once the chocolate has melted remove from heat and add in the brown sugar and corn syrup.Stir until the sugar melts and is well combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and nuts.Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake for 1 hour, checking about halfway to make sure the crust doesn't burn.Use a crust shield or some aluminum foil if the crust starts to look too brown.
- Remove and allow to cool for 20 minutes or more before serving.
This can be made several hours in advance, even a day ahead, and it will still taste great.Just make sure to keep it covered once it has cooled.Serve it with whipped cream or ice cream on the side for an even more decadent dessert.
Nutrition Information:Yield:12 Serving Size:1
Amount Per Serving: Calories:475 Total Fat:30g Saturated Fat:10g Trans Fat:0g Unsaturated Fat:18g Cholesterol:67mg Sodium:175mg Carbohydrates:50g Net Carbohydrates:0g Fiber:4g Sugar:38g Sugar Alcohols:0g Protein:5g